Saturday, August 19, 2006

Riding with the Rhinos

Wow, it's been a busy week. I rode with the Flying Rhinos on Tuesday night, was on a business trip to Indianopolis Wednesday and Thursday nights, and have been generally busy at work all week. Not much time for blogging!

Anyway, as I mentioned, I did my first ride with the Flying Rhino cycling club on Tuesday night. Every Tuesday, they rent out the Waterford Hills racetrack. This time of year, the group splits up, some do cyclocross and some ride on the track. Most of the group did 'cross. Since I brought only my road bike, I stayed on the track. It was a bit of an adjustment for me to get used to riding in a paceline, but by the end, I felt reasonably comfortable with it.

We started up doing some "positioning" drills in a double paceline to get warmed up. Mainly just weaving around, spliting apart and coming back together, etc. After that, we got into some sprinting. We started with short, standing sprints. I had no issues with these, but we spit 4 or 5 people (about half the group) off the back. Then we went into some sitting accelerations. I did OK for a while with these, and even rode at the front a little, but we just did too many. I eventually couldn't hang on any more.

So, I was pretty tired by the end, but I had a good time. I think next week I'll bring my 'cross bike and see how that goes.

No comments: