Monday, February 05, 2007

Bicycling - Mar '07

I just received the new issue of Bicycling magazine. This magazine isn't one of my favorites, but I get it because some kid came around selling magazine subscriptions and I thought his sales pitch was pretty good.

So, a couple of thoughts on this issue:

1. Is white the new black? It seemed like there were a bunch of pictures showing people in white jerseys and shorts. Now, I admit, I think the white looks pretty cool, but I can think of a bunch of reasons not to wear white on a bike... especially for shorts. I think I'll pass on this trend.

2. The cover guy. Considering that this is the "abs" issue, is this guy really the best choice? I mean c'mon, my abs look better than this guy's (however, I think my lack of a tan and unshaven chest would have kept me off the cover... maybe next year ;-) ). He doesn't really even look like a cyclist...

3. The core workout. If Bicycling would consistently include articles like this, I might keep buying it. To me, this looks like a well-constructed workout; the focus is on functional cycling muscles. I actually ran through it last night. A lot of it is similar to what I already do, but there were some new movements for me. In particular, I had a little trouble with the scissor kicks and the "boat pose" (see Jack LaLanne below). I'll probably roll this routine into my Core workout rotation.


4. Wheel review. I guess I'm out of touch in the roadie world... I couldn't believe that a "mid-range" wheelset is $1000+!

No comments: