Saturday, February 10, 2007

Cold Ride

I went on a relatively long road ride with a few of the Rhinos this morning. There ended up being four of us. The other three guys were clearly stronger than me... and they all rode bikes with knobby tires while I had slicks. Still, I don't think I slowed them down too much. It just ended up being a more intense ride than I expected.

It was about 21F this morning and windy. My choice of clothing worked out pretty well. I wore some Pearl Izumi AmFib tights for the first time. My legs stayed comfortable for the whole ride. I also wore a balaclava for the first time. My head felt a little cold on our first turn into the wind, but it seemed OK after that.

I did learn one thing about riding in weather that cold though... normal water bottles are no good. Mine was frozen after an hour. One of the other guys had an insulated bottle; I may try that next time.

No comments: