Monday, May 14, 2007

Alaska

Looks like Sarah and I will be heading to Alaska this summer. The opportunity came up kind of unexpectedly, but we're going to go ahead and do it. In fact, all of the trip arrangements are basically already made (except for dog sitting). The downside is that the trip just hosed my training schedule. We'll be leaving two days before my first "A" race at the end of July.

So, some re-working of the schedule was in order... I pretty much had to keep my "A" race on this side of the trip, because I'm sure my fitness will drop on the trip (which is fine).

What I'm tentatively working toward now is switching my "A" race to the 6-12hrs of Ithaca. I haven't decided if I want to try a solo 6 hour race or team up for 6 or maybe 12 hours. This is probably going to be as good of a time as any for me to try an endurance race. I'll be doing the Stony Marathon race 3 weeks before (about a 3.5 hour race) and a century the weekend before.

This new, longer, break in July/August also means that I'm going to race a little bit longer into the year. I'm going to add another Base phase in after the Alaska trip and try to race through the full cyclocross season, which ends December 2.

So in terms of bike stuff, I'm a little bummed that I will miss the Stony TT, but I'm excited about trying the endurance race. It will be a big-time challenge for me, particularly if I solo it, which is what I'm leaning toward. I'm also really geeked about doing more cyclocross races.

...leave it to me to spend most of a post entitled "Alaska" discussing bike racing...

No comments: