Monday, December 19, 2005

Bobke II

During my trip to Pennsylvania over the weekend, I had a chance to do some reading (it was 9 hours each way!). My dad had a copy of the book Bobke II, Bob Roll's second book I think. Incidently, I learned it's pronounced "boob-ka" rather than "bob-key" (which is what I thought it was), as the nickname was given to him by Belgian fans.

The bulk of the book is written as excerpts from Bobke's training dairy. Maybe these are his real entries, maybe not, but I know my entries are not nearly as entertaining. Aside from the humor, which you'd expect, there is some pretty good insight into what the life of a professional bike racer is like.

One of the things I've been noticing lately in reading books, interviews, etc from pro cyclists is how hard cycling still is for them. The VeloNews interview with Lance Armstrong had a section where he talked about being so fatigued in a time trial that he just wanted to get off the bike. Bobke II had numerous stories of him just doing whatever he could to stay on somebody's wheel. Certainly my limits are much lower than a pro racer's, but it makes me feel good to know that it's just as hard for professionals as it is for me. Like Greg LeMond said, "It doesn't get easier, you just go faster".

The book has also gotten me pretty fired up to go ride. My original plan was to take it pretty easy in December and crank it back up in January. The break from "structured" training has been nice, but I'm really feeling ready to get back at it. My diet has also been crap this month, I'm not gaining any weight (those that know me won't be surprised), but I don't need to eat as much junk as I have been. It's just going to make it harder to get back to my normal diet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Keith. Not gaining weight, hunh? Boo effing hoo... If you want to gain weight Keith, you should hang out with me more often. 'Course, you'd have to be willing to travel to Mesa, AZ, to do that but I guess everyone has a level of commitment to their goals that can't be exceded, right? ;)

By the way, I was talking to your dad recently, he said you had been getting pretty big into cycling. I told him that was crazy-talk but he vehemently protested that it was the truth. He even gave me the address to your blog. So I checked it out, and here you are. My, isn't technology wonderful.

Ya know, back in October, I was sitting in a hotel room in Gila Bend, AZ, reading Breakfast of Champions. There was a guy in the book who for whatever reason was wading through a stream of toxic sludge. In fact, when he cleared the stream, it would have been apparent to him had he been paying attention that a film of plastic had essentially coated everything below the knee in a water and presumambly air tight seal. And I wondered, is it possible not to notice something like that? Wouldn't you immediately try to solve that problem once you got out of the goop? And then I thought, I bet Keith would know, because he's an engineer, and I know that engineers know lots about science and stuff like that. So what about it? Do you know?

It's amazing to me that Kevin was in PA and I didn't even know about it. Well, to be fair, last year I working in the Allegheny National Forest for the Forest Service and such amenities as a phone were not gratis and your dad only told me about his recent graduation today. It's too bad, could have shown him some sites.

Anyway, I'm living and working in AZ now as a contract archaeologist. Last summer, I was really questioning that decision, but now in December, I really think it was the best move career wise I could have made.

Drop me a line sometime, your dad knows how to get a hold of me I think. I've made a web page myself, but it's not up yet. I have to have a friendly chat with the cable company considering their inefficient and totally ineffective service. But once that's done with, I guarantee you'll like it.

Peace out,

Tom.

P.S. Did you catch the Alamo Bowl? My brother told me he won money on the game but he didn't tell me who won. Do you know?

Keith said...

Tom,
Drop me an email. My bruenor address is still good.

Keith