Monday, February 20, 2006

Olympics and TiVo

Today is an off day, so I'm settling down to watch a little Olympic hockey. USA vs Sweden, yeah, I'm a day late and already know who won, but that's OK. (Interesting that Forsberg isn't starting, or looking like he's going to play). That's the beauty of TiVo, you can watch what you want, when you want... but sometimes you hear the result first. Speaking of hockey, I dug this picture out. Greg and me playing for the good ol' Winnebagos!


Other random Olympic thoughts (sorry, too lazy to make links):

- The men's 30k cross country race was cool. Watching Norwegian skier, Frode Estil, crash at the start and the rest of the pack slow their pace to give him a chance to catch up was neat. Reminded me of cycling. He did well to catch the field and still have enough left in the tank to take the silver.

- I felt bad for Lindsey Jacobellis. Again thanks to TiVo, I happened to watch the two boardercross events out of order, the women's race first and then the men's. I watched just about all of the men who were way ahead pull a little trick coming off the last jump or two. I wonder if they would have done it if the women had gone first? Just unfortunate that Jacobellis missed it, she can probably hit that grab 99 times out of 100. She's taking a lot of heat in the media, but, to me, that's part of that sport. She probably would have taken crap from other snowboarders if she'd played it safe and just cruised to the finish.

- I don't quite feel so bad for Bode Miller, but I understand. Alpine skiing is about taking risks and going ten tenths. And when you're doing that, it doesn't take much to make a mistake. It happens, and then it happens again.

- I've watched a good bit of the figure skating with my wife. They had a neat feature on Yevgeny Plushenko over the weekend, incredible focus. We haven't watched the free skate, but I gather that he crushed everyone. We also haven't watched the free dance, but I see that Ben and Tanith got silver, which is great.

- Looks like the US hockey team is getting good chances, just not finishing. Same thing happened in the game with Slovakia. This DiPietro guy is playing well in goal, I'd never heard of him before. Ugh, down 1-0 before I even finished this post.

No comments: