Sunday, June 11, 2006

Mountain Games

It just so happened that the Teva Mountain Games were going on in Vail the first weekend that we were there. They had all kinds of outdoor events going on. We caught some of the climbing, kayaking and dirt jumping competitions. Plus there were all sorts of huge dogs there for a "mountain dog challenge". We never did figure out what the dogs had to do, if anything, for this competition, but they were all amazingly well-behaved.

We ended up mostly watching the climbing events. Those guys and girls are very impressive. Lots of upper body strength, especially in the hands and fingers.

I was a little disappointed that we missed the freeride competition. The course was still up, it looked rideable even to me, but I doubt I would have done it with any kind of style.

The whole vibe of the event was pretty cool. Corporate sponsorship everywhere of course, but it was generally tolerable. I'm not used to being around so many younger, outdoor-minded people. That was actually the first thing that struck me as we drove from Denver to Vail, that there were a ton of people out on bikes riding on the various trails and roads that run along I-70. You definitely don't see that in Michigan.

No comments: