Monday, April 30, 2007

Pedals

I've been experimenting with my pedals for the last few months. I've been using Shimano M520's since I started using clipless pedals (a few years ago). I have two complaints though, one is that I had a few incidents last year where my shoe loaded up with mud or sand and clipping in and out became very difficult. I felt like this cost me real time in a few races. The second is that I frequently unclip accidentally, like when my shoe or pedal hits a rock or even just climbing hard. My second complaint could probably be fixed by adjusting release tension, but not the first. So, off I went in search of a new pedal.


I first tried the classic Eggbeater pedal. Certainly the design looked like it would shed mud well, and they're a cyclocross standard, so I thought they'd be winners. Unfortunately, my practical experience with them was not so good. While I didn't have trouble with mud shedding, I did have trouble consistently clipping in to these pedals. I don't know what the deal was, I think I never got the feel for finding the front of the cleat. I felt like I gave them a pretty fair chance though, I used the Eggbeaters all 'cross season last year and for a lot of my winter riding. The other thing I didn't like was that there was too much free float. It was like my shoes were always sliding around on the pedal; I never got comfortable with that sensation. So, last month, I decided that I was done with the Eggbeaters.

The pedals I'm trying now are the Time ATAC XS pedals, another cyclocross standard. These pedals also have a more open construction that looks good for mud shedding, but there's more of a platform than with the Eggbeaters. So far, I like these pedals. I'm using the middle tension setting, and I haven't accidentally pulled out yet, but I have been able to get my feet out in a few "emergency" situations. Clipping in takes a little more force than I'm used to, but I'm adjusting to it without too much trouble. I haven't used the pedals yet in muddy conditions, so I don't know how they'll really handle it, but so far, so good.

No comments: