Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Running, Part 2

“The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.”
- Vince Lombardi

Went to the Rhino 'cross workout again last night. While it was definitely better than last week, there's still lots of room for improvement. Here's what I noticed:

1. Most of our races last night were two laps w/ no barriers, two laps w/ barriers, one lap w/ no barriers. Over the first two laps, I felt pretty strong, and I built up a gap on the guys I usually race near. Running through the barriers on laps 3 and 4 pushed me too far over the redline though, and I had to slow down on the bike, this allowed the same guys to come back on me. So, pretty much like I said yesterday, I need to work on running so I can recover a little faster.

2. Riding in the drops is awesome! I still have good control of the bike, I can brake really hard, I can still shift, and my hands don't get so beat up. I just need to work to continue to get more comfortable with it.

3. In general, my bike handling is improved, but I'm very inconsistent in high-speed corners (especially if they might be a little loose). Pretty much the same problem I have on the mountain bike.

4. We did a total of 4 races last night. In the first two races, the guys I usually race near had built decent gaps on me (see note 1). By races 3 and 4 though, I was able to stay even or build gaps on them. This is encouraging to me, since it means my aerobic base is solid, and I need to work the anaerobic engine. Considering where I am in my training plan (beginning of Build 1), that's really as it should be.


This promises to be a tough month of training. The 'cross workouts Tuesday night are hard. Then I'm up early on Wednesday morning for a Strength workout. Long ride is Wednesday night (on the mountain bike this week). Thursday is cruise intervals (generally also on the mountain bike, but I'll do them on the road tomorrow). Strength workout Friday. Sprint workout Saturday. Races on most Sundays this month, plus hockey every Sunday night. This is either going to make me very strong or sick.

Note: Ran Kenda Kross Supreme tires at 50psi, probably too high.

No comments: