Friday, October 26, 2007

End of Season Testing

No racing for me this weekend, so I'm using the opportunity to complete my end-of-season testing. I'm doing the full battery of Critical Power tests that I did in the Spring. It was through doing these tests that I identified some weaknesses I hadn't previously been aware of.

Last night, I did the CP12 test. I thought it went OK, I put out an average of 259W, but I still had a little left in the tank. The result looks good when you compare it to my last CP12 test from February, when I put out 233W. This morning, I compared my new CP12 result to my last CP30 test in May, where I did 254W. Since I'm also hoping for an improvement in my CP30 test this month, my CP12 result isn't looking so good anymore. So, I think I'll probably wait until I've finished my other tests and then repeat CP12.

Tonight I did my CP0.2 and CP1 tests. The CP0.2 test went fine, I maintained about 700W (maybe 725W); the averaging function on my computer doesn't work well over 12 seconds, so I have to eyeball it. This is a nice improvement over the 600W I did in March.

The CP1 test didn't go so well. I was feeling cocky and tried to hold 500W, but it was definitely too much, and I crapped out at about 45s. I rested a bit and tried again for 475W, but I forgot to start my computer, and I realized it at about 20s, so I expended quite a bit of energy in that attempt. I tried a 3rd time and held 441W for the minute. So, I got a number "in the books", but I can do better. I think 475W is probably doable for me, so I'll try this test again in a few days.

I'll post my critical power chart and "power profiling" chart when I'm finished. They're kind of interesting to look at.

No comments: