Saturday, October 25, 2008

Unglued

I ended up riding the trainer last night, it was cold and raining, so I stayed in. This morning, there was no rain, but it was a little cold and windy. Out I went...

The idea today was to thoroughly warm up (since I'd been off the bike for almost a week) and then do some "cruise" intervals. I rode over to Indian Springs (about 40 minutes away, using a winding route), and then got going on the intervals. With the wind, the intervals were pretty brutal. I really started coming unglued at the end of the second one; the third one was OK since I was in a more sheltered area.

I know it may not be physically ideal to do intervals on the road (or trail), but I think there are other benefits. You need to get used to pushing hard into the wind, up a hill, around a corner, whatever the road or trail throws at you. The conditions of my ride today felt very Munson-like. My theory is that you train in adverse conditions, then they're not such a shock when you encounter them in a race.

2 comments:

Doug said...

What are "cruise" intervals?

Keith said...

It's a Joe Friel term. The interval is 6-12 minutes (I did 8 minutes) of zone 4 or 5, TT cadence. 2-3 minutes off in between.

You're supposed to do them on a flat road, but I do them on a variety of terrain. This is also a workout I like to do on the trails; it gets you accustomed to riding the trails above race pace.