Friday, April 17, 2009

On the Trails Again

The weather was great last night, so I got outside for my ride. I've been a little hesitant to ride outside while my knee is recovering because I have a tendency to ride too hard. I do a much better job of controlling my effort on the trainer.

Anyway, I rode my 'cross bike over to Waterford Oaks (my mountain bike and road bike are still in pieces, and I won't be riding my singlespeed for a while). I rode on the trails a little bit. It was nice to get out on the dirt, even if the trails are pretty tame. I also practiced cornering for a while in one of the parking lots there.


My knee didn't feel perfect this time, but it wasn't painful either. I'm not going to ride today, but I'll ride Saturday again. Hopefully I can transition smoothly to riding longer (and outside) again.
A couple of observations from last night's ride:

1. I was trying to focus on staying relaxed. In particular, to keep my shoulders down (not hunched up) and arms loose. I noticed that keeping my shoulders down automatically puts my arms in a nice bent position. This feels good on the bike, but seems to have resulted in some weird chest/back soreness.

2. Looking ahead in corners: I need to remember to look ahead to the corner entry, apex and exit. I have a tendency to focus on whatever is to the outside of a corner, which is not helpful. Looking through the corner to the exit also seems to reduce perceived speed. I think that remembering to look at the sequence is more useful than just thinking about "looking ahead".

3. Turn initiation: I was playing around with a few different ways to initiate a turn. The one that felt the best was to initiate the turn by pressing down with the inside hand. I liked it because it easily leaned the bike and automatically put pressure on outside pedal. I think that this isn't a good technique though. I felt like I was putting too much pressure on the handlebars, and, if I'm going to put pressure on the bars, I want it on the outside, not the inside.

I also tried initiating the turn by sort of rolling my outside hand into the corner. This created a better condition at the handlebars, but I didn't feel like it was very purposeful motion. The last thing I tried was the countersteering method: pushing the inside hand forward to turn the front wheel out of the turn, which then causes the bike to lean into the turn. I was a little hesitant about this, it just doesn't feel like it's a good idea to turn the bars the opposite way that you want to go. I was more inconsistent with this method, but when I did get it right, the bike really turned for me.

I'm obviously overthinking this way too much right now, but that's how I am. Once I figure out what I really want to do and start drilling it, it will start to become automatic and I won't have to think about it so much.

A couple more pictures from my phone...


No comments: