Saturday, April 15, 2006

Another Test

I performed another lactate threshold field test today. I had mixed feelings going into it. On the one hand, it had been 6 weeks since my last test rather than 4 (because of my weeklong business trip last month), so I was hoping to put out some big numbers. On the other hand, I spent most of the last two days helping to get my wife's grandmother moved to Michigan. So, I was definitely not as "primed" as usual for my test this afternoon. I didn't want to put the test off until tomorrow though, as I need to get going on my trail riding.

The test itself went OK, I put in a hard effort and had almost nothing left at the end for a sprint. The good news was that my average power did go up, the bad news (sort of) was that it only went up 3 Watts, which was less than I had hoped. (Incidently, I noticed that my power computer seems to calculate average power in 3 Watt increments.)

My average heart rate was way down for this test though, about 7 bpm lower than it was for the last two tests. I'm intrepreting this as more evidence that I was not well-rested going into the test. So, considering that, the 3 Watts is maybe better than it seems. I'll try to do a bit better about making sure I'm well-rested before my next test.

No comments: