Saturday, April 29, 2006

Form Sprints

I finally found a speed skill workout that I like! Thursday night, I did form sprints for my speed skills ride. Form sprints are essentially very short sprints (15 seconds) on a slight downhill or with a tailwind. As the name suggests, the intent is to work on sprinting form.

After all of the easy rides I've been doing in the Base phases, I enjoyed being "allowed" to drop the hammer for 15 seconds (and then get plenty of recovery), but it was also interesting for me to realize that I have virtually no practical sprinting experience. I made a number of mistakes during these sprints. I started in too hard of a gear, too tentatively, etc. So, it proved to be an educational ride. It also got me thinking about situations where I might want to sprint in a race and how I would handle them.

No comments: