Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Looking Back for Motivation

As I've mentioned a few times, I've been looking forward to finishing up the season in a couple weeks and spending a little time away from the bike. While that's fine, it's not doing much to keep me motivated for these last two races.

While I was riding the trainer tonight, I got to thinking about what I'd accomplished this year. I want to write about this once the season is over, but here is the big one:

I've put in about 164 hours on the bike this year (including a bunch of time on the trainer) and about 108 hours off the bike. I started on January 2nd of this year and have been training ever since then. Just consistently training for 10+ months will be an accomplishment, but what else has it gotten me? One big thing that has happened during this time is that I now feel like an "athlete". Despite having played a variety of sports all through school, I never felt like an athlete as a kid (and I'm not really sure why), and now I do. This isn't just optimistic self-talk stuff either, this is something I know.

For me, this is a pretty powerful realization. Between this reflection and being a little ticked off about how badly I raced last Saturday, I'm pretty fired up to finish up the year strong now.

No comments: