Saturday, October 28, 2006

Vets Park Preview

The cyclocross race I'm doing tomorrow was mentioned on the VeloNews website. Kind of cool.

It looks like the weather will be nasty tomorrow. They're not predicting rain anymore, but they are predicting temps in the low 30's and winds around 20 mph. If that holds true, it will be a tough race.

If it does look like the wind will be a factor, I'm thinking about altering my usual strategy of going out really hard on the first lap. I tend not to do so well in the wind, and I think burning up all that energy on the first lap may lead to me popping pretty quick. It has to do with power to weight ratio. Normally, being a light guy works in my favor, and my power to weight ratio is OK. In the wind though, the weight doesn't matter so much and it's all about power, and typically the bigger guys produce more power.

As the VeloNews article mentions, there are some big hills out there where I should be able to make up some time. The basic idea would be to minimize my losses in the wind (if I can draft off someone, great!) and try to make up ground where the wind isn't such a factor (ie- on the hills, technical sections and running sections). We'll see how it all works out.

No comments: