Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Schedule Change

I'm just finishing up my last Build block (actually, I'm starting the recovery week), so, in theory, all that's left to do this year is taper and race...


As happens most times though, life is going to interfere with my plan. I'm scheduled to head back over to Germany next week for work, for the whole week. This is also supposed to be the first week for my Peak phase, and that just isn't going to happen while I'm gone.


Since I've done mini-tapers for the past two weeks (I've raced both Sundays), I'm feeling pretty good and I suspect that I could do another hard (Build) week this week and then use the trip next week to recover. Then maybe I'd do a one week taper and then race? Sure, it's not optimal, but I suspect I'd be better off doing that than essentially having two very light weeks in a row.


I planned this Taper/Peak phase a little differently than my last one. The one earlier this year got screwed up a bit by me getting sick. Then, I turned around and picked all of the wrong workouts. Since I'd been sick, I did a week that focused on lower intensity aerobic workouts, which would have been OK, but then I continued to do this into my Peak phase. This was definitely the wrong approach. This time around, I've selected higher intensity workouts, and I expect it to work much better.


My blog has been light on pictures lately. So, I thought I'd post this little comparison. Here's me at the Bloomer cyclocross race from Oct 2, 2005.


And me at the Springfield Oaks CX race from Sept 24, 2006. If you look closely, you can see some physical differences (they're easier to spot with larger pictures). The more obvious differences are in positioning on the bike and confidence/comfort.


Also, I noticed that I never posted my final result from the Springfield Oaks race. I finished 13th out of 22.

No comments: