Monday, January 12, 2009

XC Ski

I had a few REI gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to buy some cross-country ski gear. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I've always had more bike-related things to spend money on.

So, I picked up my skis last Tuesday night. On Wednesday and Thursday we started getting snow. My wife and daughter would be coming home late Thursday night, so I took the opportunity to scoot over to the nature center / fish hatchery in our neighborhood. There's a flat 1.7 mile loop around the fish ponds that I figured would be skiable. More people had walked on it than I expected, but, for the most part, I could find good snow. Someone else had already been out skiing, so I followed in their tracks for most of the loop. I only had enough daylight to do one loop, but it was a good shakedown test.

We got a lot more snow Friday night and Saturday. Since I had more time Saturday, I went over to Independence Oaks during my daughter's morning nap. Supposedly, this park is one of the best local places to go. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it wasn't bad; I would go again. There's a very well-traveled and flat loop around the lake, and some hillier (less-traveled) trails through the woods. I skied for just under two hours. Even though it didn't seem like really hard work, I was pretty tired by the time I was done.

No comments: