Monday, June 22, 2009

Big Weekend

This past weekend turned out to be pretty big in terms of training. I ended up riding Friday night, which is unusual for me. I had some extended fatigue last week, a combination of the race on Sunday, the hard riding on Tuesday night and not getting quite enough sleep.

The Friday ride was pretty productive though. I had intended to work on finding my balance point for wheelies, manuals, etc by intentionally "looping out" (letting myself go off the back of the bike), but I ended up working on switchback-type corners on the hill in my yard. I struggled with the switchbacks at Ruby last weekend, and so I thought doing a little practice would be helpful. By the time I started working on the wheelies, a storm rolled in and drove me inside to the trainer.

Saturday morning, I took my daughter out hiking at Independence Oaks. I hiked about 2 hours, but she only caught the first half hour and the last 5 minutes. She slept the rest of the time!




Saturday night, I went over to Stony to ride the pump track. I definitely rode better this time than I did the time before. In particular, I improved my speed through the bermed corners. I was riding up higher on the berms and I shifted my weight forward a little. It was interesting that the things I noticed were very different this time. As I was adjusting my saddle back up to leave, a guy on a BMX bike zipped through half a lap on the track on his way to meet someone. Watching him, I realized that I still have plenty of room for improvement...

Sunday morning, I went back to Stony to turn some loops of the Marathon course. The conditions were very muddy in the Pines and in a couple other spots, so I didn't do complete laps, but I got most of it. Again, I feel like my riding has really improved, but it's still inconsistent. Some corners will be great and I'll really rip through them, but then I'll get all balled up and stall in others.

Hopefully outside events won't conspire against me for the race this weekend. My daughter has had a little cold this past week, and now Sarah thinks she's getting sick. I've also been nursing a saddle sore; so far, it's not very bad. I'm hoping I can make it through the race on Saturday, then I can take a little time off the bike to let it really heal.

No comments: