Monday, June 01, 2009

Mattawan Rides

We went to visit my parents this weekend. I brought the 'cross bike and rode with my dad both days.


I was pretty uncomfortable on the Saturday ride. I hadn't slept enough the night before, and my pre-ride nutrition probably wasn't the best. I was a little overdressed, so I was too warm almost the whole time. I stuck with my nasal breathing for the entire ride, but I seemed to be working too hard to match my dad's pace. I've been in the habit of using chamois cream for longish road rides, but I forgot to bring it, so I was chafing a bit by the end. My knees were also inexplicably achey. Just not a good time.


Everything that was bad on Saturday was good on Sunday. I got enough rest, ate a more normal meal, was dressed properly, etc. The ride went really well. I kept asking my dad if we were going slower than the day before (I haven't used a bike computer for a long time now); nope, it was about the same pace. By the end of the ride, I was feeling really good. My pedaling was super-smooth, and it seemed like I could go reasonably fast while still staying relaxed and breathing slowly through my nose.


This, I think, is the feeling that Douillard says we should be aiming for in Body, Mind and Sport. It did go away once I realized what was happening and started to push a little harder, but I still got a taste of it, even if it was only briefly.

No comments: