Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Cross Practice

“Running is a big question mark that’s there each and every day. It asks you, ‘Are you going to be a wimp, or are you going to be strong today?’”

- Peter Maher

Last night I went to my first Rhino cyclocross practice of the year. The club has been doing 'cross practices since the beginning of August, but this is the first one I've been able to go to. It was a tough ride (it was very hot when we started), but I rode a little better than I expected.

A few things I noticed:

- I had trouble going over the low-speed barriers, I was dropping my bike down too soon (on top of the barrier). The faster barriers were OK.

- This year is the year to get rid of the stutter step on the remount!

- I need to work on riding in the drops more. Braking is noticeably better in this position. My hands would appreciate the variety in position.

- I felt pretty good on the technical parts of the course; I thought I was noticeably faster than most of the guys (and girls) riding around me in the techy stuff. I think the backyard MTB stuff helps with 'cross even more than it helps with mountain biking!

- My tires are way overbuilt in comparison to what most people are running.

This is what I've got on the bike right now.


I'm considering switching to something more like this.


No comments: