Thursday, August 23, 2007

Hot Hot Hot!

“Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.”

- Vince Lombardi


I had a tough ride last night. It was about 90F, humid, and I'm still not in good mountain biking shape (my co-workers laugh when I tell them I'm out of shape, but I guess it's all relative). I went over to Stony after work to ride the trails; I realized that this was my first trail ride since the Stony Marathon race in July! As I expected, I wasn't too sharp and was a little more gassed in some sections than normal. While I was generally rusty, my bike handling felt really good in a few spots; I think this was where some of my backyard drills made an impact. I definitely need to keep that up.


So, I only rode for about an hour on the trails, and I was really starting to get tired. I decided that I should probably get off the trails before I crashed into something, but I also decided that I needed to ride for the 1.5 hours I had planned. So, I sucked it up and got out on the road surrounding the lake. I thought about turning around or cutting out the nature trail spur about half a dozen times, but I did the whole thing. I had also forgotten about how slow a mountain bike feels on the road... lots of rolling resistance, bad aerodynamics, the gearing isn't right, you name it!


Anyway, my total ride time was 1:31. It felt like a pretty big accomplishment, even though this is a standard (or even short) ride length for me.

No comments: