Thursday, February 12, 2009

Zone 2

I got on the bike (trainer) last night for some riding. I'm a little concerned about building up to do all the volume required in Morris's Aerobic phase. Anyway, I rode for an hour, which is the longest trainer ride I've done in a while (usually, I've been riding about 45 minutes max). Per the Morris book, after a warmup, I kept power and HR in Zones 2 and 3 (a LSD ride).

Since I haven't done a threshold power type test this year, I estimated it based on last year's results and my typical drop in power over the winter. Threshold heart rate doesn't really change. So, it turns out that the Morris zones are a little different than others I've seen... basically the low limit of Zone 2 is higher.

Similar to what I found last year, the ride was manageable, but uncomfortable. Basically, it's a hard enough ride that you have to pay attention or your power will drop, but it's not so hard that breathing gets difficult or HR shoots up. My legs didn't feel particularly good, but that's no surprise since I haven't been riding much, but they did feel strong.

No comments: