Monday, February 02, 2009

Colorado Dreamin'

I just got back from a trip to Boulder, Colorado with the family. The synchro team that my wife coaches was competing, and she wanted to bring our daughter, so I was there mainly as a babysitter. It made for a slightly dull trip, but it was OK.

After seeing a picture of a traffic jam of people heading into the mountains on a Friday night, I have always joked that "it must suck to live in Colorado." The trip reminded me that, alas, Colorado does not suck. We had clear blue skies every day and temperatures into the 50's over the weekend. I saw people out riding and running in shorts! Not only that, but, if you did want to go ski, we could see the snow clouds back deeper into the mountains (we heard that chain laws were in effect).

Boulder sort of fits my idea of where you'd want to live in a place like Colorado. It essentially butts up to the mountains without actually being in them. So, you don't have to deal with the problems of living in the mountains (remoteness, snowfall, etc), but you could still access the mountains very easily.

I managed to mostly keep up with my lifting while I was gone. The hotel had a decent gym with a weight machine and I hand my elastic bands. The weight machine was interesting; I couldn't do most of the lifts that I wanted to. I thought, here's this expensive piece of equipment, and I can't even do a squat with it! It was also interesting to watch the other people in the gym; since I work out in my basement, this isn't something I'm used to.

I read some good books while I was gone; I'll try to post about those later. I also got a lot of sleep. There's only so much you can do in a dark hotel room while your kid is taking a nap...

Of course, when I came home on Sunday night, I found my driveway covered in a few inches of snow and plowed in. There were also 4 newspapers scattered around, thanks to the paper not stopping delivery when I'd asked. Wonderful...

No comments: