Sunday, May 03, 2009

Greatest Mountain Biker Ever...

...or, Maybe I Should Start Wearing Pads.

So, I went out to ride the pump track at Stony Creek today. They opened a "skills park" last summer, with a pump track, wooden stunts, etc. I swung by once last year to check it out (right before the cross-country race), but I never got around to riding it. When I visited last Fall, there was nobody there.

I was a little surprised by what I saw today. Lots of families there with smallish kids (and some young teenagers). There was only one person on the pump track, a really little kid (5 or 6 years old maybe). After I started riding, one more kid joined, maybe he was 12 or 13. It was a big enough track that everything was OK, once I explained to the little kid that I would be careful and wouldn't run into him.

Riding the pump track was interesting. It was apparent after a few laps that keeping my saddle in the typical XC position just wasn't going to work for me. I dropped it as far as it would go, and that helped considerably. My only incident was early, I messed up one of the bermed turns (I think I was leaned over too far for where I was on the berm; had I been riding it higher, I probably would have been fine), my tires slid out and up the berm, and down I went. It seemed like the kids were right there, and they made sure I was OK. The 5-year old then showed me all of his safety equipment (knee, elbow, shoulder, chest pads). We agreed that he was obviously much safer than me. He said that he needed to be safer because "I need to live longer than you". Fair enough.

One thing that I always read about riding pump tracks was that it was surprisingly hard on the cardiovascular system. I can now say that this is true. I had to stop every once in a while and catch my breath and let my legs rest. One of the times I was resting, a woman stopped by with her family and said "it really doesn't look that difficult." (Maybe I forgot to mention that most of the families were by the bigger stunts. Not that they were really riding them, but that's where they were.) I tried to explain (with my leg bleeding) that the pump track really isn't difficult to ride, and that the point is to ride it without pedaling, and that makes it hard. I'm not sure she believed me.

So, near the end, the little kid told me I was "the best mountain biker ever." That's going up on the board! ;)

Anyway, I had a good time out there. The pump track was cool. I'm not sure exactly what I learned, but it does make you think about riding with your upper and lower body separated. I had some good moments where my timing was good and I was going fast, and then moments where I felt pretty uncoordinated. I'll try to go back again.

I had wanted to ride the XC trails a little bit more than I did after my pump track session, but my bike was ghost-shifting badly, so it would have been an exercise in frustration to continue. I'm trying out a new rear tire (Kenda Small Block 8) this year. It makes the bike noticeably looser, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a bad thing. I want to experiment with the tire pressure a bit more and ride it a bit more before I make a judgement about it.

About the pads... right now, both of my knees and both of my elbows are scraped up. Definitely the fall on the pavement did more damage than the fall on the dirt, but still. Both times I've crashed while "practicing", so maybe pads for practicing aren't a bad idea. It might help me feel OK about continuing to push, and keep me intact when I make the inevitable learning mistakes.

No comments: