Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Running Followups

I found some follow up articles to the one I posted some time ago about barefoot running, nasal breathing, etc.

The original
Follow-up 1 (More on barefoot running, nasal breathing, aerobic training)
Follow-up 2 (running economy)
Follow-up 3 (illness and injury)

It's always interesting to go back and read something again after some time has passed. Originally, I was mostly interested in the barefoot running part. This time, the sections about nasal breathing and relaxation caught my attention more.

The new articles are good too. I particularly like the third one about injury. He makes the point that injuries don't happen randomly; if you're injured, there's a reason for it. You need to find the reason, and then make some change to fix it. This has been my experience with cycling too. If I get hurt (usually a knee thing), then there's usually some mechanical reason for it. Trying to work around it, or patch the symptoms, just usually doesn't work in the long-term.


Speaking of being out of whack... yesterday was brutal. I couldn't fall asleep until about 2:30am on Sunday night, so I was really dragging all day yesterday. Hopefully that will be the worst of my jet lag. Sleeping was no problem last night since I was so tired.

No comments: