Friday, January 05, 2007

The Hook

I did a heavy bag workout last night instead of getting on the trainer again. It's way too early to be spending a lot of time on the trainer, especially for the low intensity rides I'm doing right now (Ashwin agrees too!). It doesn't put me in good shape for my POTATOEE competition with my dad, but I'll start catching up next month.

I tried a modified version of the 10x10 drill that I've done before. Instead of throwing rounds of 10 straight punches (1-2-1-2...1-2 where 1 is a jab and 2 is a straight right), I threw rounds of 20 5-punch combinations (1-2-1-2-3 where 3 is the left hook). I was able to make it through 10 rounds again, although it seemed a little harder than my last bag workout.

So, this morning, I figured maybe my left arm or shoulder would be sore, since I threw more lefts and was doing a new punch. Nope, my left arm was fine, but my left ankle was really sore! How weird is that? I think it had something to do with the way I was pivoting on my left foot to throw the hook. Anyway, the ankle loosened up throughout the morning and felt normal again by lunch.

I'll be taking the next two days off, more-or-less. My wife and I are going to a Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert tonight, and then we're heading over to Cleveland for the day tomorrow for a skating competition. I was tempted, but decided not to extend our Cleveland trip to visit Ray's.

Looks like the Rhinos are doing a slow pace ride Sunday morning. If the weather is OK, I'll probably do that.

No comments: