Monday, January 15, 2007

Hockey Night in Birmingham

I played hockey again last night down in Birmingham. Incidently, Birmingham keeps their rink at 55F! My wife says that the figure skaters love it, but, as a hockey player, I find it uncomfortably warm.

Anyway, this was the same group I played with around Thanksgiving. We only had 7 skaters on a side this time instead of 10, so we didn't get much time on the bench. I definitely played better last night than I did the time before, but I was still pretty out of sync. It seemed like I'd always hang on to the puck a step too long, or just be a step away from where I should be. Still, there were some flashes of good play, I ended up scoring a goal and got a few other good chances. I really didn't play so well in my own end though.

The most memorable line of the night had to be from our goalie... "I don't know what you guys look like without your gear on. You're all just a bunch of skinny-stick bastards to me."
The other good news is that I wasn't totally dragging today at work. I slept in on Sunday and took a nap in the afternoon, and it seems to have helped.

I'll probably hit up the Wednesday night drop-in session again this week.

No comments: