Monday, March 26, 2007

Mt. Waterford

I had a nice weekend of riding. I did a road ride out at Stony Creek Friday afternoon. It was colder and windier than I expected, but it wasn't too bad. I did a longer road ride Saturday afternoon, leaving from my house and going out to Indian Springs. For both rides, I used my HRM to keep me in check a little. Especially on windy rides, I have a tendency to push harder than I probably should.


Based on the condition of the dirt road I was on for part of the ride Saturday, I can't imagine that the trails are close to being rideable around here. It's supposed to rain quite a bit this week too.


Sunday morning, I took the HRM off for my hill workout. I decided to climb the imposing "Mt. Waterford". OK, so there's not really a Mt. Waterford, but that's what I'm going to call the hills in my neighborhood. One side of my neighborhood is built on two little hills, and there are roads going all over the place on these hills (the delivery guys call our neighborhood "the spaghetti factory"). While none of the roads up the hills alone are particularly long, you can string together a couple and get some climbs that take about 2 minutes. Not really long, but long enough. There are enough different roads that I ended up riding for an hour and didn't take the same combination twice.


For whatever reason, my hill workout ride wasn't particularly taxing. My hills definitely fit Friel's criteria for a "Moderate Hills" workout (grade less than 6%, takes less than 3 minutes to climb), so I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe I just didn't ride them fast enough?

No comments: