Saturday, March 17, 2007

Watt's on Second

I had been a little concerned about the LT field test for this Base1 phase I'm just finishing. Since I'd been sick a few weeks ago and took the trip to Colorado, I thought I might not be able to put up very good numbers.

I took the test this morning, and I felt like I was going to rip it up as soon as I climbed on the bike. The test went well, I averaged 233 Watts. I did 217W on my pre-season test this year, so it was a nice improvement.

For comparison, last year I did 214W at the end of Base1 and 233W at the end of Base3. In fact, looking at the other data, my test this morning was actually better than last year's Base3 test even though the average power numbers were the same. This morning, I covered an extra 0.15miles in the first 10 minutes (power in the first 10 minutes is not counted toward the average power). It looks like I also must have made a sprint at the end of the test last year, since max power was 373W; I kept it pretty steady this morning and my maximum power was only 266W.

So, I'm pretty happy with how the test went and I'm looking forward to starting Base2 on Monday. There's less cross-training with Base2 and a better variety of on-the-bike workouts.

No comments: