Thursday, November 29, 2007

Numbers Don't Lie

I had a good backyard cyclocross practice session last night. There was still snow on the ground, so I worked a bit on cornering as well as my usual barrier stuff. As of this morning though, they're predicting rain for Sunday. Doh! I felt pretty comfortable with my bike handling in the snow; I just need to stay loose and look where I want to go. I did notice that I got a little more winded than usual during my practice. In reality, it's because it takes more work to ride through the snow; unfortunately, it also feeds my "my fitness is going to crap because I haven't been doing anything for a month" neurosis...

What happens when you try to peak for a few races is that your training volume drops way down (in my case, roughly cut in half) but intensity goes up. When you're used to riding every day though, and then you start riding every other day (even though you're going really hard), it feels like you're not riding enough and your fitness is slipping. Anyway, I started worrying about this last night and then this afternoon again.

Tonight, I did the Spinervals workout "No Slackers Allowed". It's a pretty intense anaerobic workout, good for keeping the race engine tuned up. I felt pretty bad during the workout (not unusual), but my average power and the distance I rode were almost identical (actually, slightly higher) to when I did this workout 3 weeks ago! Intellectually, I understand that this means my fitness hasn't fallen off much, but I'm still not feeling good about it yet. Maybe it will sink in tomorrow.

No comments: