Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sprints

"Losers quit when they're tired, winners quit when they win."
- Unknown (to me anyway)

More work on the cars last night. This time I put the snow tires on my car; there was no time pressure, so, of course, everything went quickly and easily. I also put a new battery in my car. The old one was 6 years old, and starting to show some signs of weakness. The new battery should be good (relatively inexpensive) insurance that I won't get stuck somewhere this winter.

I decided to do a relatively short sprint workout last night. I still wasn't feeling 100% recovered, so I opted for that instead of some longer intervals. It ended up being a pretty fun workout. I was really focused on going all out for every interval (it's not so hard when the interval is only 10 seconds long). I don't know if it was physically the optimal thing to do, but, mentally, I think it worked well for me.

I ended up hitting 971W for peak power ouput during the workout. I don't normally pay attention to peak power, but about halfway through the workout, I noticed I had hit 943W. After that, I kept trying to bump it up, I was trying to hit 1000W. I was still pretty happy with 971W; I'm sure that's a new PB for me.

In my copious free time, I've been trying to figure out how to win the race on Sunday. Step 1 is easy (to figure out), I just need to stay with the lead group. I was very close to being able to do this at Munson, but I couldn't quite hang on. Part of the problem there was that I didn't get close enough to the back rider. I was trailing off 5 feet or so and wasn't getting much drafting benefit. Step 2 is much harder... assuming I can stay with the lead group, how do I break away? There's at least one guy that usually finishes up front that I don't want to end up in a sprint with.

No comments: