Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Big Picture

I've had some frustrating days since my ride on Saturday. Due to my sore knees, I decided not to ride on Sunday; it would have been a very short ride anyway. I did play hockey on Sunday night. It actually went pretty well. I'm not used to skating when I haven't done some other workout earlier in the day; I had a lot more energy than I usually do. My knees didn't bother me skating at all, and they felt back to normal yesterday.

Sarah had been feeling a little sick over the weekend, and I seem to have picked up the cold that she had. I've been trying to get lots of rest, taking my Vitamin C and Zinc, but it doesn't seem to be helping yet. Unless I make a miraculous recovery today, I'll probably have to postpone my rides for the week. Today would have been a beautiful day to ride too.

Anyway, it's not fun, but I firmly believe that it's better to focus on recovery while you're sick and not try to ride (at least for regular Joe's). Looking at the big picture, I think it's better to completely miss a couple days of training than to do low quality training for a week or more.

I looked back at my training log for this same time last year (I was checking hours... I've done more total this year, but less on the bike), and I noticed that this was exactly the same week that I got sick last year. Aside from the time of year being the same, I also saw that I'd just started riding outside, just like this year. I also know that I was around a lot of little kids with colds (or their parents) at that time, just like this year. It's probably a combination of things, but I guess I need to be very careful around this time of year (and, I think, when the weather changes in the Fall).

No comments: