Monday, March 02, 2009

Weekend Workouts

I had a good weekend of workouts, it seems that my rest time last week was worthwhile.


My strength workout on Saturday was good. I felt rested and strong. I got back up to my 22 total pullups. Two more strength workouts to go, then I'm done.


On Sunday morning, I did my postponed Sprint Interval workout. I have done similar workouts in the past, but not exactly like this. I think the big difference was that Morris has you starting from a dead stop. It takes quite a bit more effort to do that than it does to go from a rolling start. Anyway, it was a pretty nice workout. I can tell I'm not used to doing much intensity on the bike anymore. After the intervals, I stayed on the bike and did another hour at an easy pace. I'm still a little concerned about how fast my riding volume will ramp up in the Endurance phase.


With this in mind, I checked my total hours compared to last year and the year before. I've actually done more total training hours than I did at this point in 2008, and about the same as 2007. The main difference is in where I spent my time. My total strength time is much higher than at this point in past years, while my total bike time is lower. Of course my bike time will shoot up this month once I start the endurance phase. So, we have the curious result that my "low volume / high intensity" training program has, so far, resulted in more training hours. However, since I'm only training 4 days a week instead of 5-6, it definitely feels like I'm spending less time training.


Also, hockey was good last night, even though my legs were more than a little tired going in. I had a nice goal about halfway through the skate. I was trailing the play just a little, picked up a loose rebound and buried it in the upper right corner... it tucked right in behind the crossbar. Sometimes it's better to be lucky...

No comments: