Sunday, March 08, 2009

Testing and Finishing Power Phase

Yesterday was a pretty big training day for me. In the morning, I got up and completed my first LT field test of the year. I was gunning for 250W (as measured by my, no doubt, super accurate trainer), a little down from where I was partway through the Base phase last year. I really had no idea what to expect though; I've mainly been doing strength training, just a little sprinting, and very few longer rides...

So, I blistered through the first 10 minutes (that don't count), right on pace for 250W. I was thinking, "Geez, this is too easy, I'll probably go higher than 250 for the test." 5 minutes later, I was starting to hurt a bit, and then I faded pretty badly at the 20 minute mark (10 minutes into the part that counts). So, I ended up at 240W.

I'm not too disappointed, 240W is about where I was at the end of Base 1 last year. I also matched my best ever effort over the first 10 minutes (which means I went out too hard). The point of this test was just to set the baseline. I will be disappointed if I don't see a big improvement at the end of the upcoming Aerobic Endurance phase.

We went to a friend's baby shower in the afternoon, and then I came home and did my last Strength workout of the year. I'm happy to be done with those. The lifting was fun for a while, but I'm tired of it for now. Just not enough variety. For sure, the lifting has made me much stronger; whether that translates into more speed on the bike remains to be seen...

No comments: