Tuesday, January 03, 2006

So that's what the charger is for

My workout plan for today called for mainly off-the-bike training, but also a short aerobic session. I did the off-bike workout after I got home from work. There's no snow on the ground right now and it's "only" about 35F outside, so I decided to do my aerobic work outside on my bike. But, by 6pm, it's pretty dark.

No problem, that's what my lights are for! Hmm, when was the last time I charged the headlight battery? Well, the last time I used the light was Halloween, and I hadn't charged it since (and it probably wasn't fully charged before). But, hey, I was just planning a quick ride, and the light seemed pretty bright when I checked it in the garage.

So, off I go, and the headlight was working great... for about two minutes. At that point, I noticed that the road seemed unusually dark. Then I noticed that my headlight wasn't throwing off much light in front of me. I stuck my hand in front of the light, it showed just a little orange circle. Not good, time to head home. As I turned back to go home, my light was totally gone. Fortunately, I still had my taillight (which was working fine) and was wearing a bright green jacket, so I wasn't overly concerned about being seen, but it still wasn't a good situation. Drivers in Michigan aren't exactly used to seeing bikes at night in January. Anyway, I got home without any drama, and I finished my ride on the trainer.

Next time I'll make sure I charge my battery before a night ride.

No comments: