Saturday, January 28, 2006

Test Day

I performed my lactate threshold field test this morning. It was a 30 minute time trial (distance trial?) , where I took my average HR for the last 20 minutes as an estimate of my LT.

It was certainly a hard effort, but I felt like I paced myself pretty well. I felt pretty good for the first 10 minutes, and was able to ride the gear that I figured I could manage for the whole TT. My legs started to get a bit tired in the second set of 10 minutes, and I took a few "breaks" in the next gear down when I felt I needed them, but generally it was also good. The last 10 minute section was pretty tough. My legs were definitely tired at this point and my "breaks" got longer and more frequent. I did gut out a hard sprint for the last 30 seconds (actually, it was only about 25 seconds, I really hit the wall with about 5 seconds to go) and was totally spent afterward.

So, I am pleased with my effort, and the numbers are what they are. The main point here was to establish a baseline and I think I put in a good effort that did that. I'm pretty tired now this afternoon, very much like I am after a real race. Tomorrow is a relatively easy day, and then I'm on to the next training block.

No comments: