Sunday, January 22, 2006

Training Tools

As I mentioned last time, I've started using some new training tools. I got a fairly low-end heart rate monitor, and the power computer for my Kurt Kinetic trainer. The power computer is simply a normal bike computer that has been calibrated with the expected resistance curve of the trainer. It's probably not particularly accurate, but I expect that it should be repeatable, which is really all I'm after at the moment.

Anyway, I've been using these two tools for about a week. Basically, all I've done so far is to record data on my rides, I haven't tried to use them to set my intensity level. What I've learned over the course of the week (three rides, two inside, one outside) is that my intensity is all over the map!

The first ride I recorded data for this week was on Wednesday. This was a trainer ride done using my normal gearing and what I believed to be my normal cadence. It felt fairly easy, which I attributed to my new, clean chain and cassette. I recorded an average power of 124 Watts and an average HR of 127 bpm. On Saturday, I did the same trainer ride as I did on Wednesday, again, using the same gears and what I thought was the same cadence. This time, it felt noticeably harder. Afterward, looking at the data showed me why. This time, my average power was 142 Watts (pretty massive, I know ;) ) and my average HR was 139 bpm. On average, I put down 18 Watts more on Saturday than I did on Wednesday, so no wonder it felt harder, it was!

Today I rode outside, so no "power" information, but I did wear my HRM. Again, I tried to keep the same intensity, but since it was outside, I used a much wider variety of gears (also, I tend to speed up when I ride in traffic). This time, my average HR was 150 bpm. So, did I ride harder still today? Probably, but riding outside throws in a lot of other variables.

I guess the point I'm making is that I'm apparantly pretty bad at judging my effort. I suppose others are also, and that's why HRM's and power meters are around.

This upcoming week is a recovery week, and I plan to do a LT field test near the end. That should help me at least get a start in better judging my intensity levels. Should be interesting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, on my drive over to the movie theater to see Underworld II, a whole pack of bicyclists were heading in the same general direction (and blocking traffic). It seems like they could have expended a little more effort to get out of the street, but then again, the front runners must have figured that the also-rans would absorb most of the impact from say... an errant Mexican truck, and hence they seemed to "dog it" down the avenue. I'm glad to read that some cyclists feel compelled to move it on down the road...

Keith said...

Tom,
This is a big topic, and I feel strongly about it, but I'll keep it brief. Cyclists have a right to use the road, that is the law. Believe it or not, it is also safer for cyclists to ride in the road than elsewhere.
That being said, large groups of cyclists also need to be courteous. That means, if they are blocking a lot cars, they need to occasionally neck down or stop to let cars pass.
I don't know why I speed up in traffic, it's pretty irrational behavior I think. I mean, a motorist driving 45mph is not going to notice the difference between me going 15mph and me going 20mph.

Keith said...

Mags,
Yes, I've tried to use perceived exertion also. For example, on my LSD-type rides, I try to ride at a pace just under where I'd start to breathe hard. For this type of ride, I also use the same gears and try to maintain the same cadence.
I guess what the HRM and "power meter" are showing me is that I'm not listening to what my body is telling me. My notes about how different rides felt usually correlate to what the HRM or "power meter" are also telling me. I think I have a tendency to blame feeling good or bad during a ride on other factors. I'm not sure why, but that seems to be the case.

Ashwin Amanna said...

Be careful of heart rate. It seems to be fine when rested, but once fatigued it doesn't always provide the best correlation to what you are capable of. Power doesn't lie. A lot of times you can put the power out even though your heart rate isn't getting into the prescribed zone.

Over consecutive days of training, it's been shown that your body can still put out similar power outputs but the HR won't get up as high over consecutive days. Just going by HR alone says that you are tired and need to rest, but the power output shows that you can still work hard.

Keith said...

Ashwin,
Thanks for the tip, I remember reading this from the Morris book I think. My plan is definitely to use power when I can (ie- on the trainer). HR will have to suffice for outdoor rides.
I spent a little time this weekend going through some of the older posts on your blog. Some interesting stuff buried in there.

Keith