Sunday, September 03, 2006

2006 - Goal Review

I've been mentally reviewing my cycling goals for the year in the past week. The mountain bike race season is wrapping up around here. I'm doing a race next weekend, but that may be the last one for the year. Cyclocross season starts near the end of this month, and there is a conflict between the first cross race and the last XC race. Decisions, decisions...

Anyway, so what did I want to get accomplished this year?

1. Develop a strong aerobic base.
2. Improve technical MTB skills.
3. Build race experience.

So, how am I doing? Well, I'm feeling pretty good about my fitness. My trainer power numbers have improved steadily and I knocked a bunch of time off of my Stony Creek TT race over last year. So, I'd say I'm on the right track in regard to fitness.

How 'bout those MTB skills? What MTB skills? I had a pretty crappy ride out at Stony yesterday, which isn't even a particularly technical trail. Yes, I'm probably a better rider than I was last year at this time, but I feel like I lost track of this point this year. I did too much riding on the road and on the trainer. I need to make this more of a focus for the rest of this year and on into next year.

On to race experience. While I didn't race as much this year as I'd hoped, mostly due to "real life" getting in the way, I actually feel OK about this. The measureable for this goal was to feel comfortable racing in Sport class for next year. Since I did the Stony TT in Sport and did OK (and will probably race Sport next weekend), I think I'm basically there.

No comments: