Monday, September 04, 2006

Review: Disorder II

I rented Disorder II: Fat Tire Fury: White Knuckle Extreme from Netflix last week (could they have made the title any longer?). This was the first downhill / freeride movie I'd seen, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised.

The movie was almost all riding action, almost no dialog, which was OK with me. I enjoyed most of the soundtrack, and the editing / cinematography was well done. There's a pretty wide range of riding covered: dirt jumping, unicycle (!), downhill, urban trials, and, of course, some dudes hucking off cliffs. Fortunately, in my opinion, there isn't too much hucking or dirt jumping. The bulk of the movie is downhill footage, both in race and non-race settings.

What did I get out of it? Aside from realizing that I ride like a pansy? The thing that impressed me was watching how much the downhillers worked their bikes. These bikes have 6-8 inches of travel up front and the riders are still letting the bike come up almost right to their chins! The other thing that is obvious is that even though the bike is moving around like crazy, their chests and heads follow a pretty smooth path. Very impressive.

No comments: