Monday, February 11, 2008

Banquet

Saturday night was the annual Flying Rhino club banquet. Sarah and I went and we had a great time. It was nice to see everyone again; club activity is pretty quiet during the winter months.

Jamie Smith was the guest speaker. He's releasing a book next month about cycling culture (road cycling in particular) that should be pretty good; the title is Roadie. Jamie's blog also has some cool videos of racing in Detroit in the 80's. His best line of the night regarding bike racers was: "We worry about our weight like prom queens." The video here is also worth watching.

The mountain bikers (all 3 of us) in the club were all there. Supposedly, there's a lot of interest in the mountain bike team for next year, maybe up to 15 people. We'll see how that turns out; we have a racers meeting next weekend.


Sunday night hockey was OK. We had a low turnout again, only 2-3 guys on the bench skating 4 on 4. It was really cold last night, so maybe that kept some people away? I don't know. Anyway, the past two weeks have been a lot of skating. I suppose that's good for me, but I prefer to have more guys on the bench so I can go really hard when I'm on the ice.

This week is a rest week. I don't really feel too fatigued, but I noticed that I was pretty moody over the weekend. For me, that's an indication that I'm getting tired and could use a little time off. So, I've got mostly easy workouts scheduled for this week, then I'm doing my first LT field test of the season on Saturday. It's always interesting to see where you stand. I'm feeling pretty good about it, but you don't know until you do it.

No comments: