Thursday, February 21, 2008

Training Trip

With emphasis on the trip...

I had hoped to be putting more pictures up, but Sarah's been taking the camera with her, so I just have my phone. I can't pull the pictures off my phone since I don't have a microSD card reader with me, so those will have to wait until I get back. Maybe I'll try to commandeer the camera this afternoon.

Anyway, it's been a good training trip so far. I've been swimming in the morning and doing something else in the afternoon. Good meals and plenty of rest in between. I could get used to that.

I went for a run yesterday afternoon around the hotel. As I was running on a sidewalk along a pretty busy road, I heard a dog barking over my left shoulder (from the road). I turned my head to see what was going on (the dog was in a slow-moving car with the window down); at almost the same instant, I stepped into a big hole in the sidewalk. I stumbled; I almost saved it, but not quite. It was actually a nice fall... a good roll, elbow to shoulder to back... all on the grass next to the sidewalk. The guy driving the car asked if I was OK. Sure, I was OK... I would have been better if his dog hadn't been barking at me though. (No, I didn't say that.) From some not-so-good bike experiences, I figured the guy was messing with me. I think, in hindsight, he was probably making sure I wasn't going to run across the side street he was about to turn into. Anyway, no harm, no foul I guess.

I picked up the coaches from the rink in downtown Providence last night. It was during rush hour, so things were a little crazy. Providence seems like a cool city... really bustling at 5pm. I saw lots of bikers, including one messenger-type guy on a Surly road singlespeed or fixie.

My legs were a little stiff this morning, but swimming loosened everything up. I've enjoyed swimming in the morning. It's something I'm not used to doing though, so I'm surprised at how quickly it tires me out. I'll do some kind of Ross-inspired conditioning drills this afternoon. I'm saving my stair running for tomorrow night...

No comments: