Saturday, November 04, 2006

End of Year Test

I performed my last lactate threshold field test for the year this morning. It went pretty well. My threshold power was up 10 Watts over my last test (in May!). Since my first test at the beginning of the year, my power at LT has improved by 37 Watts (18%). Of course, part of the reason for the big improvement is because I started at a pretty low level.

It's interesting how this 30 minute test is different from my 'cross races, which are also about 30 minutes. The test is actually much easier, even though I'm theoretically riding at the limit for both. I think it has to do with the fact that there is steady resistance for the test, where in the 'cross race you're going up and down hills, off and on the bike, etc. There are also few distractions on the trainer, there's pretty much nothing to do other than pedal and watch the computer. Essentially, it all means that it's much easier to set and maintain a pace for the test.

No comments: