Saturday, November 11, 2006

Munson Goals

Wow, this week has been busy. I've been working like crazy to get ready for this trip to Japan and have hardly had time to think about the race this weekend. It's the last race I'm doing this year.

I'm racing at Munson Park in Monroe, which once again made the VeloNews 'Cross Examination article. The weather looks to be a bit nasty, probably in the mid-30's and windy. That's pretty much how it was last year, and I really suffered. Certainly, I expect to do better this year, but I'm still predicting a tough race.

I was out this afternoon on my last training ride for the season. It was just a relatively quick sprint session. It was colder and windier than I expected and probably a good preview of what I'll face tomorrow.

In terms of goals, I feel like I've gotten away from a few fundamentals that I think are key, and my goals for this race reflect that:

1. Pedal all the time! I have a tendency to coast on the downhills, and I shouldn't, this is "free speed".

2. Go fast in the fast parts! I think I've not been pushing quite hard enough on some of the faster, flatter parts of the courses.

3. One of my standards, but still important: Be smooth on the dismounts and mounts.

No comments: