Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Rollerblade Intervals

Today I got an email from a guy that's got a pick-up hockey game set up for Sunday. He was wondering if I wanted to play. Hmm... I haven't played hockey in about four years (!), and probably haven't skated in two!

Before I answered, I decided that I should maybe at least get out on the rollerblades and see if I could even stand up.

No problem standing, although I didn't feel as stable as I would have liked. I skated over to the stretch of road in my neighborhood that I've dubbed "the smooth loop". Note my sweet equipment.

So, since I was skating, I decided I might as well make it intervals. (I told my wife this when I got home. Her response? "Can't you ever do anything normal?" No!) The intervals went OK. I did 4 full loops at speed, each one took about 3 minutes. Then I did 8 short ones, maybe 15-20 seconds each. I was pretty whipped by the time I was done, and my lower back was a little sore, but I felt more solid on my skates.

No comments: