Sunday, December 17, 2006

Day 21 - Fast and Furious

No, not the movie... "I need NAAAWWWSSS". On a vaguely related topic, my wife spied a NOS brand energy drink. Sounds nasty...

OK, so Fast and Furious is also the name of the final Warrior Challenge in the 50 day plan. If you do all 50 days, you go through each challenge twice. This one was a combination of pullups, dumbbell swings, plyometric pushups and knee tucks. No limits on rest between rounds, but the idea is to do as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes. I made it through 7 full rounds and was halfway through number 8 when the timer went off. My rest breaks got progressively longer through the 20 minutes; it was definitely another brutal workout.

The results of this plan have been impressive so far I think. My upper body and back are noticeably stronger (especially my back). My legs look like maybe they've gotten a bit smaller since the cycling season ended, but not too much. My bodyfat has stayed pretty low, somewhere in the 10% neighborhood according to my scale, despite not eating a particularly clean diet. My wife says that I have to wait until Christmas is over before I get more serious about what I'm eating. Despite the shorter duration of my conditioning drills, I also expect that I have largely maintained my aerobic conditioning, which is really the main goal of the off-season.

As far as the conditioning goes, I'll find out soon enough. I'll still be doing a lot of cross-training in January, but I'm going to start adding more time on the bike. If the weather stays dry, I'll do some riding outside. If not, the Rhinos are starting up weekly indoor training sessions Tuesday.

No comments: