Sunday, December 03, 2006

Day 7 - More Conditioning

More conditioning work today... you're getting the gist of Ross's program now, right? It works in 5 day blocks, 1 of those is a rest day, 1 is devoted purely to strength work, and 3 are conditioning (although many of his conditioning drills also develop strength). I've been impressed at how quickly I've shed the little extra fat that I built up on my couple weeks off, and I haven't been eating particularly clean lately either.

This was supposed to be an interval day, but since I'm not running yet, I substituted some other exercises. So, instead of doing 400meter intervals, I did burpees, jumping jacks and grasshoppers in 1min 30s intervals. It was tough, but good. There may have been some residual fatigue from all of the burpees I did yesterday. For the 50meter intervals, I did 10 seconds of all out jump rope (I've been practicing, so 10s is no problem).

Today was also a Core workout day. The exercises were effective, as usual. The Core work is always interesting. The first Ross workout I did (a couple years ago) was from his now out-of-print "Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness". I remember that I got about halfway through it and had to stop, I was just laying on the floor with my muscles burning and totally spent. Now, that same workout would be way too easy for me, I'd have to increase the workload about 50% for it to be effective for me. This is the payoff for consistent resiliant action.

I'm thinking about switching mountain bikes for next year. I'd like to build up a 29er (hardtail... maybe this one?). I still think that full suspension is probably overkill for Michigan trails, but I would like to eliminate some of the rear wheel chatter I get right now. We'll see...

No comments: