Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Day 9 - GPP 2

Another day, another GPP workout. I'd been feeling like maybe these workouts weren't hitting my legs enough, but today changed that. This GPP workout had the usual assortment of burpees and jumping jacks (essentially, active rest), but it also threw in some split jumps and mountain climbers. That was enough of a change that my legs were giving out before my arms. I guess that's good.

Sarah is still doing a good job keeping up with me. She ended up effectively taking an extra "rest day" on the day of her skating competition last weekend; she was basically gone the entire day. So, she's one day behind me now.

I've decided that I need to try this whole 29er thing, with the intention that it could be my race bike for next year. My plan is to do it the dirtbag way until I decide if I like it. I've got an old set of road rims that I'm not using, so I'm going to build up a wheelset using those. Yeah, they're a little bit skinnier than a normal mountain bike rim, but only by about 1/8 inch. It should work out OK. I'm going to use the hubs from my 26 inch bike (I also checked to make sure the spoke count matched on both the rims and hubs!).
Where I'm really going to end up spending some money is on the frame and fork. I've pretty much decided that I'll get what I might ultimately want for these, and if I don't like them, sell them back on ebay. The frame and fork are just too critical to the way the bike performs for me to dirtbag that part of the evaluation. I'll strip just about everything else off my 26er.

No comments: